Foster Youth
“Any foster child who has been removed from his or her home pursuant to Section 309 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, is the subject of a petition filed under Section 300 or 602 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, or has been removed from his or her home and is the subject of a petition filed under Section 300 or 602 of the Welfare and Institutions Code.” – Foster Youth Definition, Ed Code 48853.5

Resources for Homeless Children and Youth

Homeless Students

Students who are identified as homeless as defined by McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, may enroll in Alternative Education Programs. The following assistance and accommodations are required by McKinney-Vento:

  • School districts: School districts must maintain enrollment for students who are in homeless situations in their school of origin,unless it is against the wishes of the parents or guardians. Students may remain in their school of original school of origin the entire time they are homeless and until the end of any academic year in which they move into permanent housing.
  • Enrollment: School districts must immediately enroll students who are in homeless situations, even if they do not have required documents, such as school records, medical records, proof of residency, or other mandatory documents.
  • Signatures for Documents: Homeless students may sign their own educational documents for enrollment. The designated homeless liaison may also sign documents related to enrollment for student.
  • Transportation: At a parent’s or guardian’s request, students who are experiencing homelessness must be provided with transportation to and from their school of origin.
  • Lunch: Free lunch-Students who are experiencing homelessness automatically qualify for free lunch status. Immediate eligibility is granted.

To comply with these requirements, Monterey Bay Charter School provides and coordinates enrollment, tutoring, mentoring and immunization support.


Who Qualifies for Services?

Students who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate night-time residence which include:

  • Shared housing due to loss of housing or economic hardship.
  • Living in a car, park, RV park, campsite, or similar location, hotel or motel, homeless shelter, or transitional housing.
  • Moving from place to place or couch surfing.
  • Living in a residence with inadequate facilities such as no water, heat, electricity, plumbing or having an infestation of animals or mold.
  • Living in an encampment or on the street.
  • Living in a shed or unconverted garage.
  • Unaccompanied minors (children and youth under 18, not in the physical custody of a parent or court-appointed guardian).
Each public school district and charter school in Monterey County has a special Homeless or Transition Liaison on site. If you need to reach your Liaison, contact our school office directly. If you need further assistance, contact Dr. Donna Smith, Program Coordinator for Homeless Services for Monterey County Office of Education at or 831-755-0300 ext. 129.

Subscribe Section

Subscribe to
Special Event Notices

Subscribe to MBCS special event notices (5-6 flyers per school year). Each flyer contains an unsubscribe link so you may opt out easily at any time.